Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

Iceland Inspiration


Just recently I mentioned to my dear Dad that I thought we would both enjoy a trip to see the Northern Lights together. He is a science-y nerd who’s computer desktop is a constantly changing kaleidoscope of nebula and milky way’s, I am his daughter whom he has imparted his interest in the skies on.

The Aurora Borealis in Iceland


I suggested that Canada has a lot of places to see the Aurora Borealis from (and then I could hit two birds with one stone, see Travel Inspiration) but Dad scoffed at that. His dream of seeing the Northern Lights could only be fulfilled in a Scandinavian country. Greenland, Norway, Finland and Iceland are all on my radar now and slowly I am leaning towards Iceland.



It is rugged and harsh, quiet and powerful and totally foreign. Most of the country is wilderness (it is the least densely populated country in Europe) with lots of opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, horse riding, swimming in thermal pools and skiing. Its largest city has only 120,000 people and is described as hip, state-of-the-art and alive. Of course it has amazing ancient history from the Vikings, I used to love stories of the Viking gods when I was a kid going there would be a great reason to read them all again. Unfortunately because we want to see the lights and the best time to see them is winter, there would only be about four hours of sunlight per day, I’m not sure yet how I feel about that, but the lights would be what we would be going to see.



I’m still interested in other Scandinavian countries, many of them have a lot in common, and feeling out what exactly else we want to get from this trip (Dad is sending me emails with science tours that we could do). Help me out! Do you have any recommendations for viewing the Northern Lights or Scandinavian countries? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment