Pages

Thursday 7 June 2012

A road tripping playlist

In a mere 19 days I will be jet setting off to San Francisco for a long awaited road trip with my good friend Claire. There has been a lot of organising going on in these past months and many decisions have had to be made. I wanted to drive from San Francisco to New York in a painted camper van, Claire did not. We have ended up with a convertible. The description on the website says that we have booked a 'PT cruiser or similar' and Claire and I can't wait to find out how far their definition of similar stretches.

Some of the planning for this long road trip has of course been in picking the sound track for our journey. I have been sorting my iTunes, buying new albums and keeping my ear to the ground for new ideas.

Some of my criteria are that the artist or band must be American. The only way an artist could be on the list if they are not American is if they are singing explicitly about America. It is even better if the artist or band is from somewhere that we are going!

They should be songs that invoke strong images of Americana for me, deserts, big cities, country, California beaches; that kind of thing.

And of course they must be extremely singable! I want to be able to have to top down in our convertible and be in the middle of a city and STILL not be able to resist belting them out! That is the whole point of road trip songs!

So here is a selection of 10 of my songs selected so far. Please drop in the comments any suggestions for your favourite road tripping songs, I still have roughly 3 weeks to add to my list!


 Lana Del Rey- National Anthem

I have just bought this album and I am addicted to it! It is so sultry and sexy and so many of her songs just scream 'America!' at you in the lyrics. An added bonus is if you get caught making duck faces whilst singing, you can just pass it off as emulating the singer!





Regina Spektor - Folding Chair

Regina's music is very much associated with New York City because of it eclectic mix of everything. This song however is much more a California song to me. It's so happy and sunny and just something you want to bounce around to. Also all of Regina's songs are just fantastic for belting out.





Kenny Rodgers - The Gambler

Ahh Kenny Rodgers. I love this song, like really really love it. Every time it comes on my speakers I cant help but put on a smile and a southern twang. This will song will be coming out when we hit Oklahoma.




The Mountain Goats - This Year

Again, I love all of the Mountain Goats songs but this one makes me drum on my steering wheel and sit a little straighter. It is so powerful and the lyrics really grab me and make me think. Also the film clip here is pretty funny!




Taylor Swift - Our Song

Oh Taylor. My guilty pleasure. I have all her albums and even went to her concert. There I've said it. All her songs will probably get played somewhere along the way because I think she is very versatile and can stretch from coast to coast. For now, this one can be 'Our Song' for the trip. Don't forget to add that fantastic twang to your voice when singing. 




Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow

These guys are from the West coast and mention place names in a lot of their songs. Snow is just fun because you always feel like you are tripping over your own tongue trying to get the lyrics out.





Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

What is a road trip without Tracy Chapman's Fast Car? Nothing. This one is for driving off into the sunset.

 




The Killers - Dustland Fairytale

I love The Killers! They are possibly my favourite band and I have been hanging out to listen to them in their proper surroundings, which in my mind is the desert. They are originally from Las Vegas, hence all the glitter in most of their film clips (not this one though) and I feel like going a bit Priscilla Queen of the Desert whilst listening to them would not be inappropriate.





Jay-Z and Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind

Nothing screams 'Tourist!' like driving around New York in a convertible with this blaring from the speakers. I. Can't. Wait.





Sara Bareilles - Many the Miles

Many the Miles is exactly what we will be doing this trip. Sara has us covered if anyone asks.


No comments:

Post a Comment